What is a critique group?
Critique groups or critique partners are peers who exchange constructive feedback on their work.
How do I join a critique group in our area?
New York is brimming with writers and illustrators like you who want peer feedback. Our critique group coordinator has a list of members interested in starting or expanding critique groups. To be added to that list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with "Critique Group" as the subject, and include the following information:
1. Are you writing PB, MG, or YA? Are you a writer, an illustrator, or a writer/illustrator?
2. For which of these genres are you seeking feedback?
3. Would you like to meet your critique partners in person or online?
4. What days or evenings are you available?
5. Where do you live and are you willing to travel?
6. Are you published in children's books?
7. Are you a member of SCBWI?
Once we receive your email, we will add your information and email you the link to our list. If you find a group or critique partner, please let our coordinator know so that we can take you off the list.
In addition, try networking at the Metro-NY Chapter meetings, at SCBWI conferences, and also at classes. Don't be shy - ask around to find out if there are any critique groups that are looking for new members. Most people are very welcoming and it's a great way to meet new people and find out about events in the industry.